- First women MPs elected for the Labour and Liberal parties
- Women cast off their corsets and ‘shingled’ their hair
- BBC Radio arrived
- Good Housekeeping Magazine was launched
- The Unilever brand was created
By the 1924 IAA Conference, WACL comprised some 50 members, representing every aspect of the advertising business.
In its early years, the number of dinners were few and comparatively irregular, but, right from the start, WACL was attracting key speakers like Lilian Bayliss and David Lloyd George.
Extracts from WACL’s handwritten minutes included:
- A resolution was passed concerning the restoration of the penny post which would be “very helpful to the trade and commerce of this country”
- In November 1927, it was agreed that the subject for January’s dinner should be “the cinema as a future force in commerce and education”
- And the mysterious “A letter was read from Miss Fisher making a suggestion that the Committee did not feel would work out well, and the Secretary was asked to explain this to her”!