WACL Speaker Dinner, Tuesday 6th April 2004
Perween Warsi was born in India on 10th August 1956 and in 1973 married Dr Talib Warsi, a practicing GP. Perween has two sons Sadiq and Abid. Her qualifications include an Honorary MBA, University of Derby and Honorary Doctorate in Business Administration, IMC. In 1997 Perween was awarded the MBE in the British New Year’s Honours list and the CBE in June 2002.
BUSINESS FACT FILE – PERWEEN WARSI, S&A FOODS
- Started supplying Indian finger foods to a local takeaway.
- Officially founded S&A Foods.
- Successfully completes a management buy-out of the business with help from 3i – despite stiff competition from almost every UK food manufacturer.
- Wins Derbyshire Innovation Award.
- Wins Midlands Business Woman of the Year Award.
- Wins Woman Entrepreneur of the World Award.
- Appointed to the Department of Trade & Industry Advisory Committee on Competitiveness.
- Awarded Honorary MBA by University of Derby.
- Awarded an MBE in the British New Year’s Honours List.
- Appointed to HM Government Advisory Committee on Competitiveness.
- Joins Derbyshire Board of The Prince’s Youth Business Trust and is elected to the Court of Honorary Members, as Doctor of Business Administration, by The International Management Centres (IMC).Appointed to the East Midlands Board of the CBI.
- Awarded Nottingham Trent University Honorary degree, Doctor of Business Administration (DBA).
- Wins Best in Britain Industry personality award.
- Wins Carlton TV Business Midlander of the Year.
- Awarded CBE In Queen’s Jubilee Honours List.
- Wins OPERA Award (Ordinary People Extraordinary Results Achieved) for outstanding leadership at Ashridge International Leadership Conference.
- A main contributor to ‘Moving on Up’ book in order to raise money for Sarah Brown’s Charity ‘PiggyBankKids’.